by Andrea Frisinghelli
Foto di Fabio Furlini
The palace was built in 1728 by Regola di Lizzana community then was acquired by Betta family. During the acquisition the building was not finished yet, until the 1730.
The noble floor (the first floor containing major rooms to accommodate guests and events) of the Betta-Grillo mansion represents all the sophistication and luxury that were diffused among rich housings in Rovereto during the XVII century. The local art testifies the love to art and a high level of cultural preparation of the community, key factors of this period famous for the great intellectual vivacity.
Cycle of paintings by Gasparantonio e Giovanni Baroni Cavalcabò
Betta-Grillo mansion includes the very important cycle of paintings containing seven big format paintings expressing episodes of Mosè’s life. The artist is Gasparantonio Baroni Cavalcabò, of the most important local artists of XVIII century, in this case collaborated with his cousin Giovanni whom was an artist too.
Main space of Piano nobile
The piano nobile is very interesting also because of it’s uniqueness in Vallagarinese architecture between XVIII and XIX centuries. This representative space is characterized by an elliptical dome with lacunars painted on the ceiling with an illusionistic effect and by two diaphragms, made using real pink marble columns, which divide the interior space into three distinct areas. On the walls you can admire a pictorial cycle depicting scenes from Orlando Furioso. These paintings were made at the end of the eighteenth century by Giovanni di Dio Galvagni, an artist originally from Isera.
The furniture and decorations of the rooms suffered fairly limited damage during the devastation and looting of the Great War; rare fact in a city that came out prostrate from the war events. The building was then saved from the bombings carried out during the Second World War and, thanks to the constant maintenance, from the deterioration due to the passing of the years.
The historic garden preserves its late nineteenth-century layout intact and offers a wide range of ornamental botanical species common at that time.
Palazzo Betta-Grillo is also the birthplace of Lionello Fiumi (1894-1973), an international poet, critic, essayist and storyteller.
In 1899 the building was purchased by the Grillo family.
Now the building is owned by the municipality, as the last descendant of the family, Professor Maria Angelica Grillo, donated it to the city of Rovereto in September 2017.
Pics by Andrea Frisinghelli
The Palace is opened for visitors every first and third Saturday of the month courtesy of Touring Club Italiano and volunteers, municipality of Rovereto and Quercus Association